How to acquire English skills even if you don’t want to. Chapter 1 Introduction 1-3 Results of awareness survey
1-3 Results of awareness survey (as of 2011)
In 2011, Onomichi Mayor Hiratani mentioned the internationalization of Onomichi University in his New Year's address. However, university students' evaluation of the current status of the university's internationalization was not high.
(1) Onomichi University has recently established an international student program at Portland State University in the U.S., but it does not satisfy students in terms of both quality and quantity.
(2) The university does not have a system for daily classes in English, and there are no (Japanese) teachers who can teach in English?
(3) There are no foreign professors or students at the university, so there are no opportunities to use practical English. Is the internationalization of the campus immature?
On the other hand, students' own perceptions were
(1) They don't think that the way they have been learning English at school and for entrance exams will be useful for job hunting.
(2) They are not satisfied with their current English ability.
(3) They can't get over their dislike of English.
(4) They need to cope with the English skills required after entering the workforce
There were a lot of requests to the university, and they were not satisfied with their current situation, and there was little improvement in their study methods. It seemed to me that there was a mixture of the impending start of job-hunting activities and great anxiety on the job-hunting front.
Serially posted in English every Tuesday.
For photo data and materials, please refer to the following websites.